Before you set off on your next family walk or outing, try making one of these delicious trail mixes or granola recipes to keep your energy up.
Breakfast Trail Mix
1 1/2 cups Corn Chex (corn squares)
1 1/2 cups Rice Chex (rice squares)
1 cup fat-free pretzels
1/4 cup almonds, sliced
1/4 cup raisins
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup syrup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
30 minutes 10 mins prep
2. In large bowl, combine cereal, pretzels, almonds, raisins and cinnamon; mix well.
3. In small bowl, combine syrup, oil and vanilla; slowly pour over cereal mixture. Stir well to coat evenly.
4. Spread on 15x10-inch baking ban coated with vegetable cooking spray.
5. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Cool. Store in airtight container.
This is my favorite homemade granola. I have this nearly every morning for breakfast. It's delicious and fills me up until mid afternoon. This is a great way to start off your day!
3/4 cup vegetable oil (such as canola or safflower)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sweetned flaked coconut
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup almonds
1/4 cup cashew nuts
1/4 cup macadamia nuts
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sultanas
1/2 cup chopped dried dates
1. Preheat oven to 325*F. In a large saucepan set over medium heat, combine the oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the oats, sunflower seeds, coconut, and nuts. Pour the warm oil and honey mixture into the oat mixture and stir well until combined.
45 minutes 15 mins prep
2. Spray two 12 by 17 inch rimmed baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray. Spread the mixture evenly between the two pans. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring several times, until the granola is a deep golden brown. Cool completely before adding the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container up to 3 weeks. I often halve this recipe as I would rather make it fresh every two weeks. It truly is delicious.